Stay in touch!
Keep connected with your classmates and your alumni association.
For more information, please contact:
Alumni Career Coaches
Fellow alums you can engage for advice
It’s not always easy to discern the best next step in your career. A professional career coach can help. A coach works with you to consider how your skills, knowledge, and experience might prepare you for opportunities you hadn’t considered on your own. And your coach can help you present yourself in the most favorable light.
These Duke alumni work as career coaches and offer special rates and services for fellow alums:
Please note: The counselors listed on this webpage are in no way affiliated with the Office of Alumni Affairs or the Duke Alumni Association (DAA). These professionals are independent contractors and are not being compensated or retained by the DAA.
Paul Bernard MA'75
firstname.lastname@example.org | 212-957-3470
Paul Bernard, MA'75 Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, is an innovative executive coach and career management advisor with more than 20 years of experience. He is the founder and principal of Paul Bernard & Associates, where he provides cutting-edge career management and outplacement services to individuals ranging from recent college graduates to seasoned executives. Before opening Paul Bernard & Associates in 1989, Bernard held senior management positions in both the financial services and publishing industries.
Since 1997, Bernard has offered a large number of well-received career management and career transition workshops for Duke alumni in the New York City metropolitan area. Topics have included "Career Strategies and Techniques 101 - A Game Plan for Difficult Times," "Networking 101 - 'Dos' and 'Don'ts' During a Recession," and "Interviewing 101 - Putting Your Best Face Forward." His work has also been profiled in BusinessWeek, The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, The New York Times, Forbes, CNN, and The Today Show.
His areas of practice include:
Career Management: Individualized programs to help clients take a pro-active, rather than a reactive, approach to managing their most important asset - their careers. Career services include:
- Networking and interviewing "do's" and "don'ts" during a recession
- Optimal ways to answer ads, work with recruiters, and use the Internet
- Due diligence for accepting a new position: Is this the job for me? Salary negotiation and work/life balance questions
- Adjusting to office culture and handling office politics
- Reentering the workforce after an absence
- How to keep your job in a volatile economy
Outplacement: Customized outplacement services to help individuals market themselves, resourcefully and effectively, after a job loss or downsizing.
Executive Coaching: Paul Bernard & Associates' coaching programs help individuals adapt to a changing workplace and become flexible and resilient enough to compete in a rapidly shifting economy.
Bernard holds a BA from Fordham University, an MA from Duke University, and an MBA from the University of Michigan. He is a member of the International Coach Federation, the American Society for Training and Development, the Association for Psychological Type, the Human Resource Planning Society, and the Society for Human Resource Management.
All Duke University alumni will receive:
- 50% discount off the intake appointment
- 30% discount off of the regular fees
For more information, call 212-957-3470 or visit Bernard's website, http://www.paulbernard.net.
Laurie Davis '01
email@example.com | 646-761-9055
Laurie Davis '01 is currently the Director of Counseling & Programming at the Career Development Center at Yeshiva University and a private career counselor for individuals of all ages and backgrounds. Prior to Yeshiva, she worked with graduate students at Columbia University and undergraduate students at both private and public colleges in the NY area.
Career counseling was her second profession, having launched her career in the business arena working in production and sourcing for Gap, Inc., first with the Banana Republic division in San Francisco and then the Old Navy Men's division in NY. Davis holds her Master's in Counseling from NYC and her Bachelor's in History, Summa cum laude from Duke University.
- Member, Metropolitan New York Career Professionals Association
- Member, National Association of Colleges and Employers
- Member, Career Development Specialist Network
Fellow Duke alumni will receive 25% off of Davis' traditional fees.
Marsha Egan '74
firstname.lastname@example.org | 877-749-4036
Marsha Egan '74 will partner with you and enable you to have the competitive edge that will make your career the best it can be. Egan is accredited through the International Coach Federation as a Professional Certified Coach (PCC). Named one of Pennsylvania's 50 Best Women in Business, she's been to the "Leadership School of Hard Knocks," having served in corporate and volunteer America for 25+ years.
Egan is CEO of The Egan Group, Inc., a business leader and life coaching firm focused on inspiring personal and professional success. She is a professional speaker and executive coach who has addressed over 50,000 people throughout the world. She has been featured on ABC Nightly News, Fox and Friends, Canada AM and countless other media outlets. Don't let that scare you; she's very down to earth, approachable, and likes to have fun. After all, she IS a Duke grad!
Blue Devil Special for Duke alumni:
- A complimentary 30-minute phone consultation and sample coaching
- A 20% discount on all coaching services (individual coaching, group coaching, assessments, workshops)
- A 20% discount on all resources, digital products, and teleseminars on our websites (use DUKE as a coupon code at checkout)
- Three Session/Two Month Package: This package is designed for those who want to quickly reap some of the benefits of having a coach and obtain immediate results. It includes three 30-minute telephone coaching appointments as well as unlimited brief emails or phone calls as needed between calls. The cost of this package is $250 (a savings of over 50%), and will be credited toward further coaching if the client decides more coaching will be helpful.
- The Career Energizer/Three Month Package: This package includes six 45-minute telephone coaching appointments over a 3 month period (two per month), free attendance at any of Egan's public teleseminars during that period, as well as unlimited brief emails or phone calls as needed. Included is an in-depth DiSC Personal Profile System assessment, valued at $100. This package is for anyone who wants to accelerate his or her career, is concerned for his or her career future, feels "stuck," or is considering a career transition. The focus of the coaching will be on setting priorities, visioning the future, setting the right goals, and taking the actions that will get you there. The discounted cost of this package is $1650.
- Coaching Resources (use code DUKE at checkout to receive your 20% discount):
Marsha hails from Reading, PA and coaches virtually throughout the world. Listen to "Networking 101: Tips and Tricks," a DAA Alumni Career Conversation with Marsha Egan or visit http://MarshaEgan.com/coaching.html for more information.
Karl Grass '77
email@example.com | 941-312-7701
I came to coaching via the corporate world; as a start-up entrepreneur, a worldwide partner in Arthur Andersen, and as a successful leader of multiple technology businesses ranging in size from a few million to $265 million with companies such as Sage, Wolters Kluwer, and Intuit.
Along the way, I’ve had the good fortune to work for, and with, some of the best business leaders and coaches in the world. I have been fortunate to see the best at work up close and have learned invaluable lessons from them.
My coaching background blends these experiences with formal training with and certification from The Hudson Institute, one of the oldest, most rigorous, and respected leaders in coaching certification.
What I Believe
Individuals and teams perform best when they are acting from their natural way of being - when their actions align with their purpose, core values, and style. Being authentic carries great power and is the best foundation for making purposeful change and creating success - and it’s a lot more enjoyable! Change that is rooted to what is inside ourselves is change that lasts. That’s why my coaching is all about supporting you in finding your own best way to succeed. The philosophy of coaching that I practice is called, “Leading from Behind.” This is where the coach helps lead and support you in the change process as you gain self-awareness and find the path to success that works best for you. Good coaching is about helping you find the way forward without answers being fed or forced upon you. Good coaching isn’t about fixing problems, it’s about helping you find the best answers for you by using your own strengths and beliefs. Positive change is exhilarating, fun, and always fulfilling. My mission is to help you make that journey.
For the Duke Community
I provide career coaching to support executives and leaders who want to create a larger impact where they are, for those who are in transition, and to those wanting to discover a more meaningful path. Full details can be found at www.karlgrass.com. For Duke alumni I discount my normal fees by 15% and also offer a special EQ assessment and planning package for $1,250. Included in the EQ package is an assessment of EQ capacity with full written report, a personal debrief including additional analysis of the results, and two follow up sessions to structure and launch a plan to strengthen key capabilities.
Dale VanFleet Herink '75
firstname.lastname@example.org | 502-640-2352
Dale Herink '75 facilitates changing intentions into actions. SageAdvice, LLC is the culmination of 30+ years of multi-tiered experience in promoting mission-based management, individuals' accomplishments, leadership and empowerment. Noted as a talented communicator and coach, Herink challenges employees, supervisors and clients by fostering a safe and meaningful way for them to understand themselves and their environment. Following her methods, people can make informed choices impacting their career, relationships and their life in more positive and productive ways. Herink has utilized her skills in human services environments, health and educational institutions, corporations, management consulting firms and non-profit organizations.
Herink's key professional experiences include:
- Life coaching
- Career counseling
- Outplacement consulting
- Human resources management in both for-profit and non-profit venues
- Fund development
- Empowerment training
Dale has supported women from across the US to Australia and South Africa in claiming their authenticity and personal power through educational and experiential learning settings. She is co-founder and past president of Woman to Woman Kentuckiana, a former Woman to Woman Midwest Board member and Woman Within International, Ltd. Board member. Through this empowerment training work, Herink became a recipient of the International Rose Award.
Herink earned her BA in Psychology from Duke University, is a Certified Life Coach through The Life Coach Institute, is trained in the Hakomi method of body-centered psychotherapy through the Hakomi Institute, Boulder, CO, and is certified as a Facilitator through Woman Within International, Ltd. Herink brings enrichment to her work through the multicultural influences of living overseas and extensive international travel.
John Marth '59
email@example.com | 212-433-1390
John Marth '59 is the Founding Partner and President of The Marymont Group, an industry-leading global retained executive search firm with an active client roster comprised of market leaders in the industrial, automotive, aerospace, defense, retail, venture capital, and high tech markets. He has a wealth of experience consulting and advising major corporations and providing innovative, first-class leadership solutions. He has an unparalleled track record of recruiting talent for senior-level executive positions, and has executed many high-profile placements at major corporations including Raytheon, ITT Corporation, L-3, Aerojet Corporation, Northrop Grumman, EADS, Alcan, Novelis, Rolls-Royce, Smiths Group and Home Depot. The Marymont Group has offices in New York, Washington, Frankfurt and Basel.
Prior to founding The Marymont Group, Marth was the Chief Human Resources Executive for the Electronics, Defense and Telecommunications Sectors of ITT Corporation. Marth also served as Director of Executive Staffing at ITT Industries where he was in charge of senior executive staffing for the entire corporation. Prior to joining ITT, Marth held several senior human resources positions at Sun Chemical Corporation, Inmont Corporation and American Broadcasting Company.
He is happy to provide career counseling to Duke alumni free of charge.
Hillary Schubach '93
firstname.lastname@example.org | 303-888-2588
Hillary Schubach is the founder and president of Shine/ MBA Admissions Consulting, a Denver-based company serving clients around the world. She received her MBA from Harvard Business School in 2001 and her BA in History from Duke University in 1993. Her background includes over 17 years of marketing and brand management experience—proving to be the ideal foundation to help MBA candidates market themselves to the business schools of their choice. A successful MBA admissions advisor since 1999, she maintains an exemplary track record, helping her clients gain acceptance to the world’s top business schools.
Hillary is a member of AIGAC (Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants), an organization dedicated to the highest ethical practices, professional excellence, and collaboration with admissions officers of the top business schools. She is an active community volunteer and serves on various boards and committees, including the Denver Business Series (a combined alumni organization of 20 top/int’l MBA programs; Board President 2010-2011), The Emerge School, and Denver Sports.
Hillary currently lives in downtown Denver and, when not busy enjoying the Colorado outdoors, she remains a loyal Duke fan.
Shine is a full-service MBA admissions consulting firm, serving business school candidates around the world. As your advisor, Hillary will work with you to develop your strongest possible applications by advising you through every step of the admissions process, from school selection to final interview. Shine’s wide array of services enables them to meet any applicant’s needs and timing, with the flexibility to focus on the areas most important to you. Just let Hillary know how she can help.
Services include any/all of the following:
For new applicants:
- Personal branding and packaging
- Resume review and editing
- Target school selection
- Recommendations strategy
- Content outline development
- Essay strategy, line-by-line review and editorial critique
- Interview preparation, practice, and feedback
- Timeline planning and management
- Waitlist strategy
- Analysis of past applications
- Actionable feedback to strengthen future candidacy
For future applicants:
- Assessment of candidacy
- Strategic plan to maximize relevant skills and experiences
- Target school selection
- Timeline planning and management
Offerings for Duke alumni:
- Complimentary consultation
- 20% discount off all services
- Hourly and all-inclusive packages available
Karen Shapiro '88
Karen@InsightandActionCoaching.com | 610-642-4313
Karen Shapiro '88, is a certified life coach and a lawyer by training. She is the founder of Insight & Action, LLC where she provides coaching for goal-oriented individuals who seek more fulfilling personal and professional lives. Her practice focuses on promoting insight to help discover strengths, identify obstacles, and establish priorities. In partnership with Karen, clients then undertake a course of action. The results are increased mental energy, better stress management and a more satisfying and fulfilling life. Karen has vast experience coaching clients in career transition and career optimization.
Karen’s approach to coaching is distinguished by her unique combination of skill sets. Legal training (Boston University School of Law, ’91) gives Karen the hard skills that resonate with high-achieving individuals. She combines these skills with her authentic, caring and direct personal style. This combination of hard and soft skills is especially empowering and effective for individuals who demand a lot of themselves.
Karen’s coaching is conveniently available by phone in 45-minute sessions. She is especially passionate about helping her fellow Duke alumni succeed in all aspects of their lives and offers the following packages especially for the Duke community:
- A complimentary phone consultation. Schedule your consultation in advance by contacting Karen at Karen@InsightandActionCoaching.com
- 20% off the Insight & Action Introductory Package, which consists of six 45-minute sessions via phone over the course of three months
- 20% off all ongoing coaching services
- Find out more about Insight & Action coaching at www.InsightandActionCoaching.com
Debbie Stone '84, JD'89
email@example.com | 770-569-8115
Debby Stone '84, JD'89 is a certified career coach and is the founder of InterVision Group, LLC. Debby believes that your career path should reflect what is most important to you and allow you to leverage your natural talents and abilities, as well as your values and the skills you have developed over time. Whether you are currently in a career transition, are considering a career change, or simply want to better manage your current career, working with Debby will help you create an individualized career roadmap, develop a clear set of criteria for measuring opportunities, and build your decision-making confidence. Debby provides guidance, accountability, and structure so that you can attain your goals more quickly and easily.
Debby earned her certification as a professional co-active coach through the Coaches Training Institute and is accredited through the International Coach Federation as a Professional Certified Coach. She is certified to deliver a variety of assessment tools including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), the Highlands Ability Battery, the Center for Creative Leadership's Benchmarks 360 Instrument, and the eCareerFit.com suite of tools.
Packages and Deals for Duke Alumni:
- A complimentary 30-minute phone consultation
- A 20% discount on all services (individual coaching, team coaching, assessments, workshops. and customized packages), not including the already discounted packages below
- The Coach-Me-Quick Package: This package is designed for those who want to quickly reap some of the benefits of having a coach and obtain immediate results. Clients often seek coaching on topics such as: self-promotion and business development, leadership, management and delegation, communication, executive presence, and goal setting. This package includes two 45-minute telephone coaching appointments as well as access to Debby in between the two calls for check-ins, updates, questions and accountability. It also includes several self-assessment exercises. The cost of this package is $400 (a savings of over 25%). Plus, if you decide that you want more coaching after completing this package, and you hire Debby as your coach, $250 of what you paid will be credited toward your third month of coaching.
- The Career Transition or "What's Next" Package: This package is ideal for anyone who is considering, or is in the midst of, a career transition. The focus of the coaching will be on what is next, what is most important, and how to develop a personalized road-map from where you are to where you want to be. This package includes an initial 60-minute foundation-setting meeting (or phone call if you are not in the metro-Atlanta area) and six 45-minute telephone coaching appointments as well as access to Debby in between calls for check-ins, updates, questions and accountability. The six coaching calls can be scheduled any time over the course of a three month period. This package also includes several self-assessment exercises. The discounted cost of this package is $1650, a savings of more than 20%.
While Debby Stone is based in Atlanta, GA, her coaching knows no boundaries. Information about Debby and InterVision Group, LCC can be found at www.InterVisionGroup.com.
Paula Weiner MBA'85
firstname.lastname@example.org | 212-988-3507
Paula Weiner MBA'85 is an accomplished retained search professional with eighteen years industry experience. Before beginning her own firm, she was a top performer at Johnson, Smith & Knisely and Ward Howell, when they were purchased by Monster Worldwide. In addition, Paula worked with high quality New York boutique search firms including D.S. Wolf Associates and Gould McCoy.
She possesses a significant track record of successfully placing senior executives in a broad range of functional areas. Her clients include internet and e-commerce firms, healthcare companies, leading consumer packaged goods firms, health and beauty care manufacturers, cable networks and service providers, entrepreneurial ventures, information companies and financial services firms.
Earlier in her career, Paula was a consultant for Marketing Corporation of America, where she worked on strategic planning, programming, and operational structure for Lifetime Television, and conducted research on the competitive dynamics for a well-known firm in the weight-loss industry. At Chemical Bank, she provided strategic direction and monthly performance information for marketing decisions. For Eli Lilly & Company, she service on the Prozac launch team and prepared forecasts for new cardiovascular drugs. Paula and a partner built a market research firm in Cambridge, MA. Clients included Gillette, Colgate-Palmolive, and Carter's.
Paula earned her MBA from the Fuqua School of Business, Duke University and her undergraduate degree from the University of Massachusetts.
Duke alumni will receive a discount off of services offered by Weiner & Associates, Inc.:
Retained Executive Search
- Consumer-driven Businesses
- All functional areas
Seminars Supporting Your Career Transition
- Providing insights and guidance for those exploring what's next
- Career and search strategy
- Interview preparation*
Please call or email and visit the Weiner & Associates, Inc. website (up soon). Listen to "Effective Interviewing Strategies," a Duke Alumni Conversation (online webinar) with Paula.
Tonya Winchester '91
email@example.com | 919-489-1744
Tonya Winchester is a career coach and trainer with more than 20 years of experience and a solid history of producing results in corporate management, business consulting and career coaching. She has assisted clients with career assessment, creating an online presence, career options, job search and transition support, and networking techniques. In addition, she is skilled in creating training programs and seminars on such topics as preparing students to succeed in college and life, designing professional styles of dress, new employee orientation, management and leadership training, time management and delegation.
Tonya has successfully helped businesses develop standard operating procedures and review existing policies for improvement. Trained as a Business Analyst, Tonya enjoyed success. After relocating back to Durham to join her spouse, she realized more fulfilling career options were available to someone with her skills and experiences. She utilized the services of a career coach through Duke Continuing Education to plan her transition and subsequent career change. Tonya's goal was to find real joy and fulfillment in her career. She found career coaching.
A MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) certified administrator, Tonya is a woman of integrity and works diligently to help her clients reach their maximum potential during career transition. She believes that each client can achieve great success. As their champion, challenger and confidant, Tonya provides direction and accountability, while motivating her clients toward self-discovery, empowerment and action. Her career accomplishments have enabled her to develop and demonstrate strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, organizational, and leadership skills, as well as foster strong working relationships.
Tonya currently works part-time for REA as a Career Consultant in addition to managing her own coaching practice. She is a member of several career development organizations including NCDA (National Career Development Association) and NACE (National Association of Colleges and Employers). She hold a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics from Duke and is pursuing a Master's degree in Business Administration from East Carolina University as well as a Career Coaching certification through Career Network.
Fellow Duke alumni will receive individualized packages based upon their need and priced at 25% less than the standard rates. To schedule your free 30 minute consultation, please email Tonya at firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with her on LinkedIn.